Sunday, August 22, 2010

Memphis Heritage Door Auction and a New Dress

Last night the Dingo and I attended the Memphis Heritage Door Auction (that may not be the official title). This is the second year for us to attend, originally drawn in because my mother and her friends participate in it, but it is also so fun. Basically, when an old building in Memphis is renovated one or more of the old doors are donated to the Memphis Heritage Foundation. Then, once a year, volunteer teams choose a door and make art out of it in any way they see fit. You would be amazed at what people come up with. I am always so impressed with what my mom and her friends come up with. They do beautiful mosaics. Last year was a mosaic of Elvis and this year it was a colorful retro/peace sign pattern. We won a piece in the auction last year. The door was cut down to the size of a large picture frame. I love it. (I put pictures from the Dingo and my trip to San Fran in it.)



Yes, that is a horrible picture taken with my iphone but you get the point.

This year was super great too. We bid on a wine cabinet (because the two we have is obviously not enough) but the bids got way higher than we were willing to go. However, this year they had a new addition, a room of clothes! All 70% off marked price. My mom pointed out a dress that she thought I would love, and I did. It was originally $135 so, with 70% off it was $40.50. The Dingo gave the go ahead to buy it (woohoo!) so I went to pay. The girl rang me up and said, "That will be $8." Wha? Not wanting to get her in trouble at her job I argued that that was waaayyy lower than I expected. She argued back that it was, in fact, $8. Ok, you win. So I walked away with a dress marked $135 for $8. Win.

I got curious about it today, wondering what kind of a steal I really got on this dress. I found this. The dress currently sells for $125! I'm so excited about the dress and what I paid for it. It's a perfect dress for Memphis. I can wear it now in the blistering heat with a pair of sandals but whenever fall gets here it will be great with a pair of tights. Honestly, if we have a normal Memphis winter (as apposed to the blizzards of last year) this could really be a year-round dress. When the Dingo heard the final price he immediately said, "well, hell, for those prices, is there anything else you want in here?" I love that man. Unfortunately the other dress I liked was way too big. Oh well.

All in all it was a wonderful evening. We had drinks and fun with friends and family looking at what some of the brilliant minds of Memphis artists can come up with. Dad got a little out of hand and bid on four different tables and we believe he won at least three (we left before the official close of the auction). So I have a few months to figure out where to put the new end table I am sure to get for Christmas. Haha.

No comments:

Post a Comment