Wednesday, August 4, 2010

Canadian Car Parts

Well, if you haven't heard the state of affairs in our great city, it's been 100+ degrees in Memphis all week. At one point I looked at my weather channel app today and it said the index was 122! 1.2.2. people. When it gets super hot in the south I always say you can actually hear the heat. The cicada bugs go nuts and it just kind of reminds me of how wet spots in wood hiss as it burns. Burns people.

All this heat lead to making Saturday fun day go crash, boom, pow, RUINED. Sort of. The story has a happy ending but it was not happy at the time. On Friday night I casually mentioned to the Dingo and a friend that it was miserable driving home from work because when I was at a stop the AC didn't blow quite as cold. Now, I'm no novice, I know this is a sign on the car running hot, mine has overheated several times. However, because of the raging heat outside I assumed it was just that my car AC wasn't holding up its end of the deal. Wrong. Hear that crash, boom, pow coming from Saturday? Yeah.

I had big plans for Saturday. I was going to get a pedicure and maybe go to the tanning bed (sorry, no bath water temp pool is not going to help me at this point, I need the fake stuff with AC). Well...I go to pick us up lunch at Sonic before I run my errands. As I sit playing with my phone, waiting for my (non-skate wearing) sonic waiter, I hear DING! I look up and the car is over heating. HOLY CRAP! I fly out of the parking lot hoping the movement will cool the car and drive home, sans food, screaming into my phone to the Dingo that THE CAR IS BLOWING UP!When I get home the Dingo calmly says "Get in my car, we will go try to get our food (that I had already paid for) and go buy you some coolant." Oh Dingo, so cool in the face of exploding cars and OMG do you think they threw out my chili cheese cony?! situations.

So here is the fun part. We went to get coolant and as we stand there paying, another guy comes in and asks the store clerk where to get a car part he needs. The clerk replies "so and so place out on Canada." Ok, quick note if you aren't from here "out on Canada" refers to Canada road in Lakeland, just outside of the city. Well, this guy didn't get the reference. He just stares blankly at the clerk and says "I can only get the part if I go to Canada?" Nobody spoke. Until I busted out laughing. Loudly. I suppose the stress from my car made my control over my emotions fly out the window. The clerk explained the situation and the guy replied "Oh! Ok, I was wondering why I would only get something in Canada." He laughed a little too instead of punching me in the face. But dude, you should not be working on your own car if you think Canada is a leader in the car part industry.

So, anyway, I had plenty of coolant so I had to take off work Monday to get it taken to a shop. Again, the Dingo's lovely friends/coworkers fixed it at cost. And now my car is drivable. Final win.

Now I am sitting basically in the dark. I'm convinced that the slightest amount of electricity will make the house hotter. And I can't wait until Friday more than ever. The forecast says it will be 92. That's like a cold snap this time of year. Bring it on!

2 comments:

  1. Girl!! Did you get your coney?

    ReplyDelete
  2. You bet I did! My cheese tots had gotten a bit cold though :( I have such a healthy diet. haha

    ReplyDelete