Saturday, April 10, 2010

The Dingo and Doodle Sat. Fun: Episode 1

The Dingo and I often have places to be on Saturdays. People visiting, birthdays, what not. So when a weekend comes that we don't have plans it calls for adventure. This often involves me cooking something. Today was one of those days.

I was nursing a sinus headache most of the morning (the Allergy Monster has come!). So around lunch we decided what to do today and came to decide on grilling ribs. We went to Charlie's Meat Market to get some. The Dingo is usually the rib guy but I decided today I'll do everything but the actual grill part. I haven't ever learned to use a charcoal grill so he is going to be my sous-chef for the day.
After leaving Charlie's I decided it was time to visit the Jerusalem Market next door. The Dingo loves lamb and you can't find it often so we decided to give it a shot. I went straight for the butcher counter...no lamb. So the Dingo asked the kid behind the counter (am I so old now that I call people kids?!) if they had lamb. I was eyeing a giant thing of olives when the Dingo said, look Nik! I did not expect to look up to a cooler door opened to show at least five whole lambs hanging in there! The store workers were quite entertained when I screamed OH DEAR GOD! Was totally not expecting that. Then I looked at the butcher board. You can buy a lamb head! Yes, I said h.e.a.d! Blech.

We forwent the head and asked for the chops. The butcher gave us some options and enthusiastically said, well, I can give you the neck too! Oh dear God X2! I decided on just the chops. Now I have to figure out what to do with these things. That will be tomorrow's debacle. Wish me luck.

I can't be in such a fun store without buying more. So, I asked the owner some questions about homemade hummus. I've done it myself before but it's just never as good as the true Med places. He was so sweet to take me around the store and pick out all his favorite ingredients (there are only 4-5 depending on how you make it). And he gave me tips about how he makes his (he adds cumin, I've never heard of that). So it was well worth going. Try it sometime!

No comments:

Post a Comment